?

Log in

THE CHATTERBOX: Das Sporking - The Sporkings of Das Mervin and Company Page 2

> Recent Entries
> Archive
> Friends
> Profile

Links
TOC Posting Format
Spork Suggestion Box
Das Mervin's FAQ
Sporker FAQs
Chatterbox Forum
Das Sporking Tag List
Twi.Spite.Fic
Anti-Bella
ZeldaQueen
Sue Assassins
SOS Sporkers
Kippur Critiques
The ShinRa High Sporking
Verprose

January 10th, 2013


Previous Entry Share Next Entry
das_mervin
02:37 am - THE CHATTERBOX: Das Sporking
The Chatterbox: Das Sporking


As the community owner and mod, I am always looking for ways to improve the comm. As such, this is where you can talk about the comm itself—do you have suggestions? Compliments? Criticisms? Ideas for a new Chatterbox subject? Or even just want to say how you found this place or places you’ve seen the comm linked? You can bring it here and mention it.

(123 comments | Leave a comment)

Comments:


Page 2 of 3
<<[1] [2] [3] >>
[User Picture]
From:morri_delrae
Date:February 13th, 2014 11:00 pm (UTC)
(Link)
OK, so this is not community improvement-related, but I don't know where else to pitch this. Here goes:

Das_mervin once made a post in her journal where she linked to a video of Tom Hiddleston doing his best velociraptor impression. And I cannot find it now! It's not just about the video itself - that I can google - but I wanted to find the exact discussion that took place under that post. Can anyone help me out?
[User Picture]
From:jusqua_4heroes
Date:February 15th, 2014 02:42 am (UTC)

Novelizations = canon rewrites?

(Link)
Asking because I'm curious about whether to add the tag to my spork or not...

Basically, the plot of Paper Mario Eds is literally the plot of the original Paper Mario, but with the Eds in it. Even though it adds some extra plot (at the VERY END), should I put a 'canon rewrite' tag on the posts or not?
[User Picture]
From:beacon80
Date:February 15th, 2014 09:46 am (UTC)

Re: Novelizations = canon rewrites?

(Link)
My vote is yes.
[User Picture]
From:lady_fofa
Date:February 19th, 2014 07:33 am (UTC)
(Link)
You know, I think it might be a good idea to state what's allowed on the comm and what isn't on the posts for the Spork Suggestion Box and the Spork Claims.
[User Picture]
From:bluekevlar16
Date:February 20th, 2014 06:35 am (UTC)
(Link)
For some reason every time I mark something in the Spork Suggestion Box it automatically gets marked as spam. Anyone know why that would be?

Also, do you think it would be possible to add a chatterbox for research woes? Das Sporking is seriously one of the most knowledgeable an well-versed comms I've ever come across, so maybe the users could help each other (including myself) with research woes.

Edited at 2014-02-20 06:39 am (UTC)
[User Picture]
From:sith_droideka
Date:February 21st, 2014 04:30 am (UTC)
(Link)
For some reason, links cause the filter to think it's spam.

Maybe that's it?
[User Picture]
From:enoby_way
Date:February 21st, 2014 12:44 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Well, other people were talking about how they first found the comm, I might as well chip in.
I was looking around to read Shinra High and found a link to the sporking of it on Sephirothslave's ED page. I read through all of the Shinra High and Shinra SOLDIER sporks, and followed the link to Das_Mervin's Twilight recap.
So, yeah. Thanks Lian-Hua and Iscariot!
[User Picture]
From:bluekevlar16
Date:February 21st, 2014 01:59 pm (UTC)
(Link)
What happened to part 3 of chapter 38 of the BD sporking? It was up last night but now it's gone.
[User Picture]
From:sashocirrione
Date:March 12th, 2014 04:38 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I think you should put instructions for de-spamify-ing comments somewhere in the FAQs. I just figured it out recently and went back through my sporks to de-spamify the perfectly innocent comments that LJ marked as spam because of a picture or a link.

I did it by appending ?mode=showspam onto the end of each post's URL, and then it would show the "spam" comments for me to approve or destroy.
[User Picture]
From:bluekevlar16
Date:March 20th, 2014 07:37 pm (UTC)

Writing help/suggestions?

(Link)
Does anyone else think we should have a section for helping each other with suggestions and such for writers? This comm is by far the best sites on the web I've seen for analyzing writing and everyone's very civil*, so I would love if we could have a place to share ideas and ask for advice on here.

*Spammers and rule-breakers notwithstanding, though really I've seemed to have missed all the bad stuff.
[User Picture]
From:enoby_way
Date:March 21st, 2014 11:59 pm (UTC)

Re: Writing help/suggestions?

(Link)
The closest there is is the Fact Check section, though it hasn't been linked to in the sticky yet...
But I agree, I think it would also be quite useful.
[User Picture]
From:thebekahmachine
Date:June 9th, 2014 01:45 pm (UTC)

Das Analyses?

(Link)
Okay, so this is a pretty weird idea, but I had it so I'm going to throw it out here. :P I don't know how many people on the comm know of Jenny Trout's 50 Shades read-through; I got into it pretty recently. But she also has something on her website called the Big Damn Buffy Rewatch. She's watching a show that she likes, then posting a critical/funny analysis and recap of it on her website.

So I was thinking, Das Sporking is full of critical people. And that's not just limited to awful fanfics. I'd be just as interested in reading Mervin recap and analyze Supernatural as The Host, personally, and I bet something like this would get people into a lot of different fandoms. xD So, would anyone else be interested in introducing analyses of fanfic/original fic that we like into the comm, under a different tag? Or, hell, a few people from the comm getting together and posting things like that in a Tumblr group?

I dunno, it might just be me that thinks it would be cool. xD But I'd like to hear other people's opinions about it.
[User Picture]
From:charlie2cute
Date:June 9th, 2014 02:39 pm (UTC)

Re: Das Analyses?

(Link)
I think it's called anti-sporking. You know, when you spork a fic you make fun of it, but with anti-sporking you point out what's good about it, instead.

Madame Mervin would have to say the final word, but personally I love that idea. I really wanted to do that with Angel - the Buffy spin-off. I already had plans to spork season 4 at some point, because it's awful, but all the other seasons are amazing and I'd love to do an anti-sporking of it.

I also started to do something like that with Supernatural, but it didn't really go anywhere.
[User Picture]
From:aprilp_katje
Date:June 10th, 2014 07:48 pm (UTC)

Dates a bit disordered?

(Link)
I'm noticing a bit of variation in the reverse-chronological posting order on the main page--for example, we have entries dated June 5, June 4, and June 2 appearing above the couple of entries that have today's date (June 10, 2014). Is this a function of the "moderation" process, so that the posting date is actually the date when the entry was submitted for moderation, while its position on the page reflects when it became available for all to read?
[User Picture]
From:das_mervin
Date:June 10th, 2014 08:39 pm (UTC)

Re: Dates a bit disordered?

(Link)
It's the moderation process. The date is the date the post was submitted to the comm, but we sometimes approve them out of order to prevent saturation of one sporker over another.
[User Picture]
From:ranguvar42
Date:June 23rd, 2014 07:31 pm (UTC)

So I Got This Idea at 3 am.

(Link)
Which means it's probably a very silly one, but what the hell.

A Das_Sporking Dictionary. There's so many words and phrases that we Sporkers use, and I think it would be fun to define what they mean for any newcomers.

Here's what I have so far.

ketsplode: Named for sporker Ketmakura, this occurs when a sporker reads something so infuriating that it causes him/her/them to spontaneously combust into colorful ash(color may vary) only to reform seconds later. Very cathartic.

Spite Fic: A way of asserting reality on a particularly heinous/dumb moment or character.

Spork Chamber: A room that is as big as needed, with a viewing apparatus(usually a computer screen) for reading the bad fic. If any Guest Sporker with canonical powers is inside, powers will be nullified. However, there are exceptions. Furniture varies by Sporker.

Spatula: Special weapon of Lady Ket, used to smite Sues.

Paul: Level below ketsplosion, the sporker will temporarily turn into Paul from Aqua Teen Hunger Force. Commonly used by Madame Mervin.

Prion, Hellspawn: Nicknames for Christian Grey, the "hero" of the Fifty Shades Trilogy.

Danisha: Horribly racist and stupid Sue that somehow travels back in time and falls in love with Frollo, despite the fact that she's African American. Warps Frollo, a racist, genocidal asshole, into a cuddly bunny that coos over his lady-love.

Sporker: All the brave souls of this Comm that dredge through the worst of the worst.


Any others?
[User Picture]
From:beacon80
Date:June 23rd, 2014 07:46 pm (UTC)

Re: So I Got This Idea at 3 am.

(Link)
For Spork Chamber, I'd add a sentence describing how the chamber is often used to imprison the sporkers.

Commenter: A reader not directly involved in the sporking.

Counter: A way of keeping track of some element of stupidity that keeps coming up. Often used to point out the stupidity while reducing the repetition and/or distraction that would occur if the sporker had to stop to point it out every time.

Empath: A common ability in Harry Potter fanon (but not canon). Usually involves the ability to mind rape people. May come with vulnerabilities to extreme emotions from nearby people. Rarely actually accomplishes anything.

Male: A clinical term for boys and men somehow misconstrued as romantic.

Mate:
1. A clinical term for a significant other somehow misconstrued as romantic.
2. A predistined person a character (usually revealed to be non-human) must have sex with. Neither character has any say in it, but rarely cares about the loss of free will, difference in values, or spontaneous homosexuality. Often comes with a lethal time limit.

Scary Sue: A character we're supposed to hate because they oppose the Mary Sue. Loved by sporkers and commenters because they oppose the Mary sue. Usually the voice of reason (Strawman Has a Point), although their world still revolves around the Mary Sue.

Suethor: The author of a Mary Sue (male variant - Stuthor)

Trigger: Something likely to offend people by how casually it's used by the Suethor. Common ones are rape and abuse.

(Edit: Combined all of these into one post.)

Edited at 2014-06-23 08:19 pm (UTC)
[User Picture]
From:hysteria_woman
Date:December 4th, 2014 08:46 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I recently discovered this place via a tumblr friend and I have been addicted to it. I had been bemoaning the death of the MST3k community and I am glad people are keeping up the MSTing spirit.

I have done some Homestuck fic sporkings of my own. (Here) Except for one, they are all on googleDocs.

However, I am not here to ask to be a sporker. I'm wondering if it would be too weird to submit one of my own fanfics for sporking. I could spork them myself but I want an outsider view on them. I haven't seen any Homestuck works on this site but there has to be someone out there who is a Homestuck fan. It's a huge fandom.
[User Picture]
From:geek_undercover
Date:December 8th, 2014 10:21 pm (UTC)

HTML

(Link)
I'm trying to get the hang of LiveJournal. Can anyone give step-by-step instructions on how to download gifs and then upload them to LJ on PC? I've been trying to figure it out and I just can't get it.
[User Picture]
From:beacon80
Date:December 8th, 2014 10:27 pm (UTC)

Re: HTML

(Link)
I usually upload them to PhotoBucket. It conveniently will then provide you with a couple different strings of formatting. You can just click on the one you want (HTML, in this case) and it will copy it to the clipboard for you. Then just go to your journal and paste it in.
[User Picture]
From:geek_undercover
Date:December 12th, 2014 04:30 am (UTC)

First Sporking

(Link)
I just finished two chapters of my first sporking. Hopefully, if Mervin opens the comm up for new sporkers at some point, this is what I'll start with. I would appreciate some feedback on my style, as well as any advice anyone can offer. The sporking is on my LiveJournal and should be accessible to everyone. Thanks to anyone in advance that takes the time :)
[User Picture]
From:astra_aurora
Date:January 19th, 2015 02:47 am (UTC)
(Link)
Sorry if this doesn't make sense, but I'll try to say it as clearly as I can:

So there's a book, the latest in a long series by a successful, respected author. It's actually a pretty damn good book, except for the bit where the author decided to write in obvious expies of two characters from a well-known TV show so she could bash one, point out how he's wrong using her Mary Sue protagonist (admittedly, the protagonist's been a Mary Sue from the first book, but the author's good enough that I just ignore the really bad bits), and finally get the two characters to hook up.

Is this spork-worthy, even though the book is actually pretty good apart from that subplot?
[User Picture]
From:jusqua_4heroes
Date:April 8th, 2015 06:33 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Late, huh.

I think that if the book itself isn't spork-worthy, but that section is, you could just do a book analysis as a whole, present why the characters are as bad as they are, and submit to see if Mervin & co. agree.
[User Picture]
From:hornspointedup
Date:March 16th, 2015 11:42 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I cannot remember exactly how I stumbled across Das Sporking! I know it was last year in April sometime that I was linked to the 50 Shades spork, probably from Jenny Trout, Cliff Pervrocracy, or the 50 Shades is Abuse blog (that was recently pulled down because some jerk doxxed the author right after the movie came out). I was hooked. Devoured all of the available Twilight material before I started school last fall, too. I look at stories so much more critically now thanks to this site! I'm also a big fan of MST3K so I'm glad the spirit of that is alive here.

Unsure where else I'd share this, but the idea of sporking awful fic was introduced to me by a "Mistress Lizzie," purportedly from Australia, who did some very popular takedowns of Harry Potter fic around 2000, 2001 or so. This was right before the Pit of Voles had a pissfit over MSTs and banned them from their site, causing her works to be pulled. She hosted them herself for a while but like much of the early Internet it seems they were lost to the ages. She'd force Harry, Ron, Hermione, et al to sit in a theater and riff, sometimes pulling Snape or Lupin in as needed, which is why I think I'm so fond of the sporkers here pulling in various characters to help tear the badfic down. And oh boy, were the stories bad. Like bordering on Neal bad.
[User Picture]
From:jusqua_4heroes
Date:April 8th, 2015 06:27 pm (UTC)

Sporkers' Personal Hells.

(Link)
Dumb thread, maybe, but...

If nothing else, I just wonder what Mervin would hate most: spending eternity stuck in a theater that only plays Avatar, stuck in a library that only has the Twilight Saga or The Host, a release of Twilight where Leah's death happens outside the stupid dream for an even more pointless reason, or learning that Neil won the Nobel Literature Prize.

And of course, what other sporkers would consider their own personal hells.
[User Picture]
From:das_mervin
Date:April 8th, 2015 09:22 pm (UTC)

Re: Sporkers' Personal Hells.

(Link)
The last one, definitely. :)
[User Picture]
From:delyhisb
Date:May 5th, 2015 01:59 am (UTC)
(Link)
I was thinking of making a banner for das sporking, as thanks for how awesome it is. I love it to death, and want to really pay it back. Is anyone interested in that....?
[User Picture]
From:darkavenger42
Date:June 1st, 2015 05:59 am (UTC)
(Link)
Not sure how I'd be able to help, but I like the idea. 😊
[User Picture]
From:Christophe Varengo
Date:May 30th, 2015 11:18 am (UTC)
(Link)
Does omeone knows when the Eragon spork will resume ? The last chapter was posted a year ago
[User Picture]
From:kirby163
Date:June 4th, 2015 12:16 am (UTC)
(Link)
Hey there! Friends call me Kirby due to the unoriginal username my 10-year-old self came up with and my current self can't be arsed to change.

Anyway, a friend of mine introduced me to Das Sporking by way of Sailor Rainbow, as she knew how much I despise Mary Sues. Currently we are working on a sporking of a RWBY SI!fic called "The Plus One of RWBY" starring a Black Hole Sue!Author Avatar, who has all the powers, ALL of them. He's also abusive towards other characters, a raging hypocrite, and he ignores all the rules the creator put in place for OC creation. It's a real piece of shit. I have a link in my journal.

Edited at 2015-06-04 09:43 pm (UTC)
[User Picture]
From:taekarado
Date:July 24th, 2015 07:34 am (UTC)

moderation process

(Link)
I understand the logic of the 'staggering posts out over time' maoderation process: to make sure each post is on the up and up, and to ensure no one sporker dominates on a particular day. But because the mods are exempt from the waiting list, it feels a bit like they are dominating the feed, as it were. Again, I totally get the logic behind it, but when three mods (and themadmisshats, is she a mod now?) all get sporks up on the days they are posted, and all those 'lesser' sporks get pushed back an extra day, it gets a little bit disheartening. Not expecting any change in this department, just my two cents.
[User Picture]
From:sashahoneypalm
Date:July 24th, 2015 04:09 pm (UTC)

Is it just me, or are the Rose Potter links broken?

(Link)
I've been wanting to see for myself the legendary crazy of Rose Potter (the naked druidess one, not the selfcest one that's been sporked right now), but when I click the links in the sporking, I get a 404 error message. Is it just my computer, or were the sporks taken down?
[User Picture]
From:stormswift
Date:July 30th, 2015 03:13 pm (UTC)

Re: Is it just me, or are the Rose Potter links broken?

(Link)
It's not just you. Journalfen.net, where the sporkings are hosted, has been down for several months now while the site runners are working on server outages. I hope it comes back, too!
[User Picture]
From:stormswift
Date:July 30th, 2015 03:18 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Will new sporker applications be re-opened any time soon?
[User Picture]
From:ultimateparagon
Date:September 7th, 2015 03:08 am (UTC)
(Link)
Is there some way I can tell if one of my sporkings is in the pipeline? I've been having memory problems due to a head injury, and I can't remember if I actually submitted my latest sporking.
[User Picture]
From:mirandagaara
Date:September 14th, 2015 03:17 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Just to let everyone know, I am still here. I recently suffered a traumatic bereavement where an old friend was killed in a car accident, and it knocked out my muse for a while. I'm slowly getting back on track and will hopefully manage to tear apart another chapter of the crapfic I'm currently sporking and submit it. Tho I haven't posted anything in a while, I've still been here, lurking, til I felt able to get back into things.

> Go to Top
LiveJournal.com